Aaron Hernandez, the former Pro Bowl New England Patriot tight end accused of first-degree murder, was charged with assault and battery Thursday, officials said, after an apparent jailhouse brawl.
Hernandez will be arraigned on the new charges at a future date. The fight, a local prosecutor said, occurred at the Bristol County House of Corrections in Dartmouth, Mass., on Feb. 25. Neither the unidentified inmate nor Hernandez was seriously injured, CNN reports. Hernandez was also indicted on a charge of threatening bodily harm inside the same facility stemming from an incident last November.
Hernandez, 24, has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time