A former United States congressman who resigned his seat almost two decades ago after a statutory rape conviction has reportedly been arrested in Zimbabwe for allegedly violating immigration laws and possessing pornographic material.
Citing a former aide identified only as Sunny, the state-run Herald newspaper reports that former Rep. Melvin Reynolds had pornography he had shot with models in various hotel rooms, and owed more $24,000 in unpaid hotel bills. Reynold’s arrest was confirmed by the Associated Press.
The Illinois Democrat resigned his seat in 1995 after he was convicted of having sex with a 16-year old campaign volunteer.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve