A woman spent a night in a South Carolina jail for failing to return the VHS tape she had rented from a video store in 2005. The movie? Monster-in-Law.
Police arrested Kayla Michelle Finley Thursday on a misdemeanor for failing to return the video, WYFF-4 reports. She had rented the critically-derided Jennifer Lopez film from Dalton Videos, which like every other video store in the U.S. that doesn’t sell porn has gone out of business.
Finley, 27, was visiting the county sheriff’s office Thursday night on different business when they discovered the outstanding warrant for her arrest. She had been sent several letters years ago asking her to turn herself in. She had to spend the night in jail before a hearing could be arranged. The judge released her Friday on a $2,o00 bond.
In our opinion, they should probably let Finley off. She already had to suffer through Monster-In-Law nine years ago, and will forever be known as the woman who got arrested for watching one of the worst-rated movies on Rotten Tomatoes. Let’s hope the judge is forgiving — and that Finley remembered to rewind the tape.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future