Uzo Aduba is the actress known for her role as Crazy Eyes in Orange Is The New Black. But she revealed her real nickname at the TIME 100 gala.
Surprise: It’s Uzo. Her full first name is actually Uzomaka, which means “the road is good.”
Her parents selected the name because they had to journey from Nigeria to the United States. But it was worth it, because they met and had her.
Aduba offered her thoughts on the show as it gets ready to debut its second season. The show’s creator Jenji Kohan recently told NPR that the main character is a Trojan horse to draw in viewers so they can meet the other characters.
“Jenji said it best,” Aduba said. “Now that we’re inside we get to go deeper into who they are, not just through Piper’s lens. It’s next level.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Lily Rothman at email@example.com