While hitting the morning shows to talk about the economic sanctions against Russia, White House National Security Adviser Tony Blinken pointed the finger squarely at Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“He had a compact with his people and the compact was this. ‘I’ll deliver economic growth for you if you remain politically compliant.’ Right now he’s not delivering growth,” said Blinkin on CNN’s State of the Union.
The U.S. and other Western powers have placed economic sanctions on Russia in response to continued turmoil in Ukraine they believe is being fueled by Moscow’s support.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space