Two non-uniformed Philadelphia police officers shot a pizza deliveryman in the head Tuesday night, officials confirmed Wednesday. Philippe Holland, 20, remains hospitalized in critical condition.
According to Deputy Police Commissioner Richard Ross, the plainclothes officers responded to the sound of gunshots, saw a man walking in a hoodie and ordered him to stop. He did not, perhaps, Ross guessed, because the police were out of uniform and he didn’t believe they were real police, NBC Philadelphia reports.
“We believe, unfortunately, that he is also of the belief that he is being robbed,” Ross said.
When Holland got into his Ford Taurus, Ross said, officers thought he was going to run them over. They opened fire, shooting him in the leg, neck and head.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space