Two non-uniformed Philadelphia police officers shot a pizza deliveryman in the head Tuesday night, officials confirmed Wednesday. Philippe Holland, 20, remains hospitalized in critical condition.
According to Deputy Police Commissioner Richard Ross, the plainclothes officers responded to the sound of gunshots, saw a man walking in a hoodie and ordered him to stop. He did not, perhaps, Ross guessed, because the police were out of uniform and he didn’t believe they were real police, NBC Philadelphia reports.
“We believe, unfortunately, that he is also of the belief that he is being robbed,” Ross said.
When Holland got into his Ford Taurus, Ross said, officers thought he was going to run them over. They opened fire, shooting him in the leg, neck and head.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org