Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
A Tennessee family recently discovered a letter that their deceased daughter wrote to her future self.
According to The TODAY Show, after 12-year-old Taylor Smith died suddenly from pneumonia, her parents Mary Ellen Smith and Tim Smith of Johnson City, Tenn., discovered an envelope that said “To be opened by Taylor Smith on: April 13, 2023 ONLY!” and “unless said otherwise” below in minuscule writing.
In the letter written last spring that her parents posted on Facebook last week, she asks her future self if she has ever been out of the country on a plane and whether Doctor Who is still on air. An aspiring lawyer, she also wonders what her college major is and whether she still believes in God. She concludes the message with words everyone can live by:
Her mother, Mary Ellen Smith, told NBC’s Mike Taibbi that she has received “letters from lots of parents who’ve said it’s encouraged them to love their kids and love each other.”
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction