The Salvadoran who claims that he spent over a year adrift in the Pacific Ocean returned home late on Tuesday, after a week of rest and medical treatment in the Marshall Islands.
José Salvador Alvarenga’s 14-year-old daughter didn’t remember ever seeing her father, who left to fish in Mexico when she was only one-year-old, but greeted him with an archway of palms over the front door and a sign reading: “Welcome.”
While many have doubted the 37-year-old’s incredible story, experts have attested that it would be possible to survive through his ordeals, and details emerged over several days seem to corroborate the horrible journey.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now