The rapper Doja Cat attended her first Met Gala on May 1, dressed as Karl Lagerfeld’s beloved cat Choupette. This year’s theme for the annual gala is “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,” a tribute to the late Chanel creative director who died in 2019.
The 27-year-old artist, who was recently named one of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People of 2023, was seen leaving her New York City hotel surrounded by umbrellas before arriving at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where the event is held every year.
She graced the red carpet with a floor-length silver jeweled gown that covered her head with cat ears, alongside a prosthetic cat nose and cat claw nails. She even meowed when speaking to Vogue host LaLa Anthony.
The internet quickly reacted not only to the artist’s look, but also to her being seen vaping on the carpet.
The real Choupette, whose attendance at the Gala had been rumored, announced via her Instagram ahead of the event that she “preferred to stay peacefully & cozy at home.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time