For all of its controversy—racial, financial, ethical, and more—the Hollywood Foreign Press Association made one smart recent decision: to hire Jerrod Carmichael as the host of the 80th Annual Golden Globes on Tuesday night. Carmichael—a comedian, actor, writer, and filmmaker—is perhaps best known for last year’s stand-up special on HBO, Rothaniel. In it, he quickly built a tight rapport with his audience, sanding awkwardness into keen observations—a skill he deployed again expertly at the Golden Globes.
Read about more highlights of the 2023 Golden Globe Awards here, and read Carmichael’s full remarks below:
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This