After only three days online and 148 tweets, an unofficial Twitter account documenting the hassles and failings of the Sochi games has succeeded in attracting more followers than the official Winter Olympics account.
While @Sochi2014 displays pictures of arriving athletes, the Olympic torch bearers and the competition facilities, the unofficial account has been busy sharing and retweeting information and jokes about unfinished construction, gross hotel rooms and more serious issues such as Russia’s gay rights record.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating