Ryan Reynolds is taking his work as a superhero — and all around good guy — personally. The Deadpool and Green Lantern star is offering a $5,000 reward for the return of a lost teddy bear.
While the actor has three children with his wife, Blake Lively, the missing “Mamabear” does not belong to his kids. It came to his attention thanks to a tweet shared by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reporter Deborah Goble.
The bear belonged to Mara Soriano, 28, and was stolen during a recent move in Vancouver. While the backpack that the bear was in also contained an iPad, Nintendo Switch, and citizenship documents, Soriano says it’s the bear that is most important — the stuffed animal is outfitted with a device that plays the voice of Soriano’s mother, who died last June due to cancer.
According to Goble’s tweet, when the bear is squeezed, a recording of Soriano’s mother says, “I love you I’m proud of you, I’ll always be with you.” Speaking to CNN,, Soriano explained that she “hugged it every time” she missed her mom.
The story clearly resonated with the Canadian actor who not only shared the Twitter post, boosting its range, but also added a “zero questions asked” $5,000 reward for anyone who returned the bear to its owner. “I think we all need this bear to come home.”
For those who want to join the hunt for the missing bear, Goble and Soriano have since shared a few more details:
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out