Ryan Reynolds is taking his work as a superhero — and all around good guy — personally. The Deadpool and Green Lantern star is offering a $5,000 reward for the return of a lost teddy bear.
While the actor has three children with his wife, Blake Lively, the missing “Mamabear” does not belong to his kids. It came to his attention thanks to a tweet shared by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reporter Deborah Goble.
The bear belonged to Mara Soriano, 28, and was stolen during a recent move in Vancouver. While the backpack that the bear was in also contained an iPad, Nintendo Switch, and citizenship documents, Soriano says it’s the bear that is most important — the stuffed animal is outfitted with a device that plays the voice of Soriano’s mother, who died last June due to cancer.
According to Goble’s tweet, when the bear is squeezed, a recording of Soriano’s mother says, “I love you I’m proud of you, I’ll always be with you.” Speaking to CNN,, Soriano explained that she “hugged it every time” she missed her mom.
The story clearly resonated with the Canadian actor who not only shared the Twitter post, boosting its range, but also added a “zero questions asked” $5,000 reward for anyone who returned the bear to its owner. “I think we all need this bear to come home.”
For those who want to join the hunt for the missing bear, Goble and Soriano have since shared a few more details:
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- The Threat to Louisiana's Drinking Water
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time