(Bloomberg) — A Facebook Inc. employee has died at one of the company’s buildings at its Menlo Park, California, headquarters.
A Facebook spokesperson confirmed the incident, and said the company plans to contact the worker’s family. A press release from the City of Menlo Park said there was “no foul play involved involved in this apparent suicide.” The employee was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the city’s police department.
“We were saddened to learn that one of our employees passed away at our Menlo Park headquarters earlier today,” a company spokeswoman said in a statement. “We’re cooperating with police in their investigation and providing support to employees. While the family is being notified, we have no information to share. We hope to provide an update when we learn additional information from law enforcement.”
The worker was a full-time software engineer at Facebook, according to a person familiar with the situation.
If you or someone you know may be contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or text HOME to 741741 to reach the Crisis Text Line. In emergencies, call 911, or seek care from a local hospital or mental health provider.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?