Jermaine Bell had saved up money for more than a year in hopes of going to Disney World for his birthday on Sept. 8. But as he saw Hurricane Dorian approach South Carolina, where he was visiting his grandmother earlier in September, he decided to use his savings to buy hot dogs, chips and water to give to anyone affected by the storm.
Though Bell, who lives with his mother in Florida, had appeared to give up on the idea of seeing Disney’s new Lion King exhibit, Disney got wind of the boy’s generosity. He was rewarded with a free trip to the Walt Disney World Resort later in September.
In a video posted by Disney Parks, Bell was surprised by Disney employees — including Mickey Mouse — outside his home in Florida as they commended him for his actions and informed him of his trip.
“When I saw everything, I was just super happy,” Bell said. “Mickey came out – I was just really happy.”
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time