Robots powered by artificial intelligence have been popping up in hotels, airports and shopping malls. Now, they’re showing up at assisted living homes, too.
With names like Stevie, Paro and Pillo, these robots can do everything from keeping the elderly company to reminding them to take their medication at the right time.
“Robotics has the potential to play a huge role in elder care facilities and hospitals to enable people to do more with less,” says Conor McGinn, a roboticist and assistant professor at Trinity College Dublin.
Watch the video above to learn more about how robots are being used in elderly care.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement