A popular pendulum-style ride at an amusement park in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad broke on Sunday while the ride was operating. The accident was caught on video.
The city mayor’s office said two people died, and 29 others were injured in the accident at Kankaria Amusement Park, according to CBS News.
The “Discovery” ride has 32 seats. A video shows the pendulum shaft swinging the seats upward, before it snapped and fell to the ground.
“The pipe of the main shaft broke and crashed on the ground,” Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation Chief Fire Officer M. F. Dastoor told the Ahmedabad Mirror, according to CBS News. “How that pipe broke is a matter of investigation by Forensic Science Laboratory.”
Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner Vijay Nehra tweeted that he has instructed police to begin a criminal investigation to determine the cause of the accident.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This