A popular pendulum-style ride at an amusement park in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad broke on Sunday while the ride was operating. The accident was caught on video.
The city mayor’s office said two people died, and 29 others were injured in the accident at Kankaria Amusement Park, according to CBS News.
The “Discovery” ride has 32 seats. A video shows the pendulum shaft swinging the seats upward, before it snapped and fell to the ground.
“The pipe of the main shaft broke and crashed on the ground,” Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation Chief Fire Officer M. F. Dastoor told the Ahmedabad Mirror, according to CBS News. “How that pipe broke is a matter of investigation by Forensic Science Laboratory.”
Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner Vijay Nehra tweeted that he has instructed police to begin a criminal investigation to determine the cause of the accident.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up