Those in the vicinity of Luke Air Force Base in Arizona looked up to see an unusual mark in the sky Tuesday afternoon: an air trail resembling male genitalia.
The skywrite was left by F-35 fighter jet pilots that were conducting a training exercise, CNN reports, and officials say it was the innocent result of a simulated dogfight.
“56th Fighter Wing senior leadership reviewed the training tapes from the flight and confirmed that F-35s conducting standard fighter training maneuvers,” a spokesperson from the airbase said.
The spokesperson added that there was “no nefarious or inappropriate behavior” during the training flight.
Social media users were quick to react to the curious contrail.
This isn’t the first time a suggestive outline has been drawn in the skies.
A full-scale investigation was launched after two Navy pilots left a phallic drawing in the skies in 2017. According to the Navy Times, one pilot said to the other, “You should totally try to draw a penis.”
In 2014, Royal Air Force (RAF) pilots in Scotland drew a similar image in the sky, but denied that it was intentional.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating