Those in the vicinity of Luke Air Force Base in Arizona looked up to see an unusual mark in the sky Tuesday afternoon: an air trail resembling male genitalia.
The skywrite was left by F-35 fighter jet pilots that were conducting a training exercise, CNN reports, and officials say it was the innocent result of a simulated dogfight.
“56th Fighter Wing senior leadership reviewed the training tapes from the flight and confirmed that F-35s conducting standard fighter training maneuvers,” a spokesperson from the airbase said.
The spokesperson added that there was “no nefarious or inappropriate behavior” during the training flight.
Social media users were quick to react to the curious contrail.
This isn’t the first time a suggestive outline has been drawn in the skies.
A full-scale investigation was launched after two Navy pilots left a phallic drawing in the skies in 2017. According to the Navy Times, one pilot said to the other, “You should totally try to draw a penis.”
In 2014, Royal Air Force (RAF) pilots in Scotland drew a similar image in the sky, but denied that it was intentional.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate