As if Kacey Musgraves weren’t enough of an icon already, she decided to roll up to the 2019 Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual Costume Institute Benefit in a hot pink Barbie convertible.
But the Met Gala theme is camp: Of course, the look didn’t stop at the wheels. Musgraves wore long blonde hair, departing from her dark locks, and a hot pink dress by Moschino, looking pretty much exactly like the beloved childhood doll. She even held a pink handbag that’s actually a hair dryer.
Known for having fun on social media, the singer teased Monday’s look on Twitter in the hours leading up to the event in New York. She even shared a photo of a matching Barbie doll in the same look — down to the earrings and fur wrap — tagging the line’s creative director Jeremy Scott in the picture.
In another tweet, Musgraves wrote “MET Monday” along with a photo of her holding the tiniest Barbie sunglasses ever. Her actual look featured the same sunglasses — albeit, human-sized — and the same dangly earrings seen on the doll.
Always one to commit to character, the 2019 Album of the Year Grammy winner said she was starting her hair and makeup in a Barbie glam set.
Musgraves certainly made a statement for “Camp: Notes on Fashion” — and with that entrance, Twitter users knew it before she even stepped up to the red carpet.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement