Porter, who is a star in the current TV series Pose and made a name as the Tony-winning lead in Broadway’s hit show Kinky Boots, cleared the entire red carpet when he arrived at the 2019 Met Gala.
He was carried in, reclining regally, on a velvet-draped litter hoisted by a team of six bare-chested attendants in golden pants and face and chest hardware. Porter himself wore an elaborate golden costume and headdress, reminiscent at first glance of a pharaoh. When he deigned to descend to the red — or, rather, pink — carpet, it turned out that Porter’s costume also included sweeping golden wings, making his look more akin to that of Isis, an Ancient Egyptian goddess.
Porter is known for his bold red carpet moments: at the 2019 Oscars, he appeared in a sweeping black tuxedo gown that wowed fashion critics and onlookers; before that, he had donned a pink cape for the Golden Globes.
At the Oscars, he explained his fashion ethos to Vogue: “My goal is to be a walking piece of political art every time I show up. To challenge expectations. What is masculinity? What does that mean?” Looks like he lived up to that goal at the camp-themed Met Gala this year.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer