We now know the news behind Elon Musk’s cryptic tweets. Some of them, at least.
But before Thursday’s announcements that Tesla Inc. was finally prepared to deliver a Model 3 priced for the mass market, that ordering was moving to online only, and that the company probably won’t be profitable in the first quarter, online sleuths were taking their best guesses as to what exactly the unpredictable billionaire had in store.
Some of the most entertaining guesses hinged on the chief executive officer changing his name on Twitter to “Elon Tusk,” with an accompanying elephant emoji.
Reddit users speculated the switch may have been alluding to a frequent refrain from another famous billionaire: Warren Buffett. The Berkshire Hathaway Inc. CEO wrote in his annual letter to investors last week that he continued to seek an “ elephant-sized acquisition.” Another theory on Twitter was that Musk would announce a factory in India.
It turns out the name change was meaningless. When asked about the new nom de plume on a call with reporters Thursday, Musk responded: “I was just playing the fool on Twitter.”
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror