The first look at Will Smith as the Genie in Disney’s remake of Aladdin is here, and one thing is clear: People aren’t sure how to feel.
Disney aired a new full trailer for its live-action adaptation of the animated film during the 61st Grammy Awards on Sunday night. The CGI-enhanced Smith is the same bright blue shade as the original film’s genie.
Considering the late comedy icon Robin Williams performed the voice of the original genie, Smith has some pretty big shoes to fill. The original Aladdin was also the highest-grossing film in 1992 and won two Academy Awards. But if the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air star’s previous work is any indication, he may be up for the task.
Directed by Guy Ritchie, the man behind 2009’s Sherlock Holmes, Aladdin hits theaters on May 24.
While some people took to Twitter in awe of Smith’s look as the Genie, others felt a bit less positive about the casting. Here are some of the best reactions to the trailer.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy