A TSA agent died inside the Orlando International Airport on Saturday morning in what police are calling an “apparent suicide.”
TSA confirmed to TIME that an on-duty officer fell from a hotel balcony inside MCO Airport.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the officer’s family, friends and everyone in our TSA family,” the TSA statement read. “TSA will be rescreening passengers and will continue to work with the Orlando Police Department and GOAA (Greater Orlando Aviation Authority) to return operations to normal.”
The statement did not address whether or not the agent committed suicide, though several reports claim that is the case. Orlando Police said that “[p]reliminary information suggests an apparent suicide” and that the case is an active investigation.
As the situation unfolded, many travelers described scene at the airport as “chaotic” and said flights were delayed.
Images uploaded to social media show large crowds and lines gathering at the airport.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science