The incident, which was captured on video, occurred at the Liverpool Innovation Park on Monday afternoon. Construction workers still working at the site were “gobsmacked” when “some idiot in a mini digger” plowed through the door and lobby of the nearly finished hotel, according to a witness who spoke to the Press Association, as reported by the BBC. The dramatic video shows the orange digger plowing through the facade, knocking out the glass doors, and ripping down the frame. Luckily no one was seriously hurt in the melee, which went on for “a good 20 or 30 minute”, although, according to a police report, one man was treated for eye irritation caused by exposure to diesel.
In another video of the incident, taken from a different angle, the person driving the digger appears to be yelling, “All you had to do was pay me my f—ing £600!”
The driver abandoned the vehicle and made off on foot, as seen in another video, but police have tracked him down and plan to interview him.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.