It all began when Twitter user Jackie Caplan-Auerbach tweeted out an exchange between a flight attendant and another passenger on her plane. “Flight attendant on my flight to the mother holding an infant: ‘What’s her name?'” she wrote. “Mother: ‘Leia’ FA: ‘Like Princess Leia?’ Mother: ‘No, like General Leia.’ A-freaking-men, sister.”
Leia first made the switch from princess to general in 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens, a transition that was met with resistance by some fans and continues to be a point of contention to this day.
One detractor even responded to Caplan-Auerbach’s tweet with a list of what he viewed as Princess Leia’s accomplishments — delivering the Death Star plans, destroying a shield generator, etc. — versus General Organa’s failures.
See some of the other replies below.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time