Alaskans shared startling images of smashed roadways, cracked walls and scattered belongings after the Anchorage area was rocked by a major earthquake with powerful aftershocks on Friday morning.
The earthquake, which is initially believed to have had a magnitude of 7.0, had an epicenter 10 miles north of Anchorage at 8:29 a.m., according the Alaska Earthquake Center. It also reported the area was impacted by major aftershocks, the largest of which had a magnitude of 5.6 and was centered three miles north of Anchorage.
A tsunami warning for the coast was also issued around the time of the earthquake, although the National Tsunami Warning Center later cancelled it.
Here are some of the most striking images and videos that illustrate the effects of the quake.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction