Updated 3:30 a.m. E.T. on Wednesday
The gunman, a Marine standing guard at the base’s main gate, discharged an M4 rifle, killing another sentry, who was stationed inside a nearby guard shack.
Camp Lejeune’s provost marshal said the shooting is not thought to be an act of terrorism and that the shooter is no longer active. The guards’ identities have not yet been released, as the relatives are still being notified.
The incident at the marine base comes just days after a former solider went on a shooting spree at Fort Hood in Texas, killing four people, including himself, and injuring 16 people.
The camp’s spokesperson was quick to snub any comparison between today’s violence and the melee at Fort Hood last week.
“We understand that people are at a state of heightened sensitivity, given what happened over at Fort Hood,” Camp Lejeune spokesman Nat Fahy told the Associated Press and insisted that the camp was never placed under lockdown.
“It’s important that we convey that this is not a Fort Hood-like incident. It was an isolated incident that’s no longer active.”
Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating the incident.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears