Lee, who made cameos in a number of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, is credited with creating some of the most popular comic book superheroes and villains of all time, including Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Incredible Hulk.
“I think everybody loves things that are bigger than life. … I think of them as fairy tales for grown-ups,” he told The Associated Press in a 2006 interview. “We all grew up with giants and ogres and witches. Well, you get a little bit older and you’re too old to read fairy tales. But I don’t think you ever outgrow your love for those kind of things, things that are bigger than life and magical and very imaginative.”
The true origin stories of some superheroes aren’t always clear. But without Stan Lee, the world of heroes and villains would be a lot smaller.
Here are some of the most beloved heroes and villains you’d never know if it wasn’t for Stan Lee.
Heroes created by Stan Lee
- Ancient One
- Black Panther
- Black Widow
- Captain Marvel
- Doctor Strange
- Fantastic Four
- Human Torch
- Invisible Woman
- Iron Man
- Jean Grey
- Mister Fantastic
- Nick Fury
- Professor X
- Scarlet Witch
Villains created by Stan Lee
- Doctor Doom
- Doctor Octopus
- Green Goblin
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This