Police in the U.K. searching for a man resembling David Schwimmer, who played Ross Geller from Friends, have announced they have identified the suspect.
The Lancashire police force’s photo of the suspect carrying a crate of beer went viral as social media users pointed out the man – wanted in connection with the theft of a jacket, cell phone and wallet – looked like Schwimmer.
Users quickly began referencing popular lines from the show. “Shouldn’t he be at work… or is he on a break?” asked one.
Schwimmer himself even got in on the action, posting a statement denying responsibility, alongside a video of him carrying a crate of beer. “Officers, I swear it wasn’t me,” he said. “As you can see, I was in New York. To the hardworking Blackpool Police, good luck with the investigation.”
Lancashire police thanked the public in a tweet for their help with the investigation. “Could we BE any more overwhelmed with the response to our CCTV appeal about a theft at a restaurant in Blackpool?”
“Most importantly, we’re now satisfied we’ve identified the man in the still & our enquiries are very much continuing. Huge thanks for sharing it with your Friends,” the force wrote.
They had earlier confirmed that Schwimmer had been ruled out as a suspect.
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction