The president of the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) has been reported missing after a trip to China, officials say.
Meng Hongwei was reported missing Friday by his wife, the Associated Press reports, citing an anonymous French judicial official. The Interpol head travelled to China at the end of September. His wife said there had been no news of him since he made the trip.
Reuters reports French police have opened an investigation into his disappearance.
Meng, 64, was elected to run Interpol, an international police cooperation organization in 2016. He was previously the vice minister of public security in China.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time