While speaking at a Film 4 Summer Screen showing of Christopher Nolan’s acclaimed thriller, Caine—who played the father of Leonardo DiCaprio’s Dom Cobb—shared some insider knowledge on whether Cobb was awake or dreaming in Inception‘s closing sequence.
“When I got the script of Inception, I was a bit puzzled by it,” Caine said. “And I said to [Nolan], ‘I don’t understand where the dream is.’ I said, ‘When is it the dream and when is it reality?’ He said, ‘Well, when you’re in the scene, it’s reality.’ So get that — if I’m in it, it’s reality. If I’m not in it, it’s a dream.”
There you have it, Inception fans. Since Caine is in the final scene, it’s reality. Case closed. The totem falls.
Revisit the iconic ending below.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears