During an appearance on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, fellow TV host Stephen Colbert was subjected to the hot seat to answer some of Cohen’s burning questions — helped out by a cartoon bear. Cohen got right into the serious stuff, getting Colbert to address his controversial decision to bring out former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer during the Emmys in September 2017 when Colbert was a host for the awards show.
“Be honest. Do you regret bringing Sean Spicer out for a surprise cameo when you hosted the Emmys?” the “Shady Col-Bear” asked Colbert.
But Colbert had an immediate response. “Not at all. I had no fear that it would redeem him,” he insisted.
“I knew there would be some people who wouldn’t like it,” Colbert explained. “The funny thing was that right before I brought him out, I looked around the room and I thought to myself, there’s not one joke I’ve told tonight to this room full of liberals that was a risk, other than the one I’m about to do, and it was the joke I most wanted to do.”
This year’s Emmys, which will take place on Sept. 17 in Los Angeles, are being hosted by Saturday Night Live actors Colin Jost and Michael Che.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was