At least four people have been killed in a shooting in the city of Fredericton in eastern Canada, according to police. One suspect is in custody, though officials are asking residents to continue to avoid the area.
Fredericton Police asked that residents “do not post information about the position or activities of police or first responders,” and advised those nearby “to avoid the area and stay in their homes with doors locked at this time for their safety.”
The exact circumstances of the shooting remain unclear.
A resident said he heard a series of “firecracker” sounds around 7 a.m. local time, according to the CBC. He heard more similar noises about five minutes later.
Due to the volume of calls, police have advised residents not to call the police station directly.
Fredericton, a city of about 60,000, is the capital of New Brunswick, Canada.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears