In the emotional new track, dubbed “Sober,” Lovato sings about relapsing after six years of sobriety.
“Momma I’m so sorry I’m not sober anymore / And Daddy please forgive me for the drinks spilled on the floor,” Lovato belts out in the chorus. “To the ones who never left me, we’ve been down this road before / I’m so sorry, I’m not sober anymore.”
Lovato also apologizes to her fans in the song, singing, “I’m sorry for the fans I lost, who watched me fall again / I wanna be a role model, but I’m only human.”
The singer tweeted the single out, saying “My truth…” on Thursday.
In 2010, at age 18, the former Disney star entered rehab to seek treatment for substance abuse, depression and bulimia. Since then, she has spoken openly about her struggles with drug and alcohol addiction.
“Surrendering is the most important thing whenever you’re trying to battle your demons,” she told People in 2017. “You have to admit that you have a problem first, and then you can overcome them.”
Listen to “Sober” below.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time