Never one who can be accused of failing to speak his mind, Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday compared LaGuardia Airport in New York to “some third-world country.”
During a speech about infrastructure at a Philadelphia train station, Biden said the United States led the world economically for decades because of superior infrastructure but that other countries have leapfrogged the U.S. with major investments while domestic infrastructure has decayed.
Biden said that if one blindfolded a person and took them to Hong Kong’s airport and asked where they were, they would reply: “This must be America, it’s a modern airport.” On the other hand, he said, “if I took you and blindfolded you and took you to LaGuardia Airport in New York you must think, ‘I must be in some third world country.'”
LaGuardia, the smaller of New York City’s two major airports, has four terminals and several aging buildings that have not been upgraded in decades. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates LaGuardia, is currently investing $3.6 billion to overhaul the airport.
See Biden’s comments below:
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization