The stage adaptation of Tina Fey‘s beloved cult classic movie was up for twelve nominations, but ultimately lost out on all counts as The Band’s Visit, starring Tony Shalhoub and Katrina Lenk in a subtle, haunting performance of missed connections, nearly swept the musical categories. (Mean Girls was nominated for Best Musical, Best Book, Best Original Score, Best Actress in a Musical and more, all of which it did not ultimately win. In fact, it was the most-nominated show alongside the SpongeBob SquarePants Broadway adaptation.)
So of course fans and spectators had plenty to say about the way the Mean Girls situation played out. Mainly, since the original movie gifted pop culture with so many memorable lines, the internet was ready to bring some levity to the moment — using the show’s own script as a blueprint for the jokes to come.
Harkening back to the classroom scene in which a visiting Santa Claus bestows holiday Candy Cane-grams upon some students (but not, unfortunately, Gretchen Wieners), internet jokesters had the perfect architecture to turn the Mean Girls loss into a Twitter-worthy meme.
Of course, some saw an upside to the shut-out.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time