The stage adaptation of Tina Fey‘s beloved cult classic movie was up for twelve nominations, but ultimately lost out on all counts as The Band’s Visit, starring Tony Shalhoub and Katrina Lenk in a subtle, haunting performance of missed connections, nearly swept the musical categories. (Mean Girls was nominated for Best Musical, Best Book, Best Original Score, Best Actress in a Musical and more, all of which it did not ultimately win. In fact, it was the most-nominated show alongside the SpongeBob SquarePants Broadway adaptation.)
So of course fans and spectators had plenty to say about the way the Mean Girls situation played out. Mainly, since the original movie gifted pop culture with so many memorable lines, the internet was ready to bring some levity to the moment — using the show’s own script as a blueprint for the jokes to come.
Harkening back to the classroom scene in which a visiting Santa Claus bestows holiday Candy Cane-grams upon some students (but not, unfortunately, Gretchen Wieners), internet jokesters had the perfect architecture to turn the Mean Girls loss into a Twitter-worthy meme.
Of course, some saw an upside to the shut-out.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow