A boat capsized off the coast of Florida Thursday, killing at least three, authorities said.
Coast Guard spokeswoman Marilyn Fajardo said seven other passengers were rescued, but that there were at least 12 people on board, Reuters reports. The coast guard is actively searching for others who may have been on board.
The overturned boat was discovered by a Royal Netherlands Navy ship, which was in the area on a counternarcotics mission. The ship notified the U.S. coast guard.
The coast guard suspects the boat was transporting illegal immigrants, although it remains unclear where the journey began.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now