“What makes me optimistic, specifically this year, is of course the resistance movement, but specifically the creativity that’s come out of that,” said activist and writer Janet Mock. “I think a lot of artists have seen the urgency of the times…just being around other artists who are creating stories, creating works, creating things in these tortured times is super inspiring.”
“What makes me optimistic this year are those kids from Parkland, and the fact that they’re on this list,” said Dear Evan Hansen actor and singer Ben Platt. “Some people that are so sort of young and have had such sort of limited experience with the world already have such goodness within the them and are such fighters.”
From Nicole Kidman to Carmen Yulín Cruz to Adam Rippon, celebrities and luminaries from all industries gathered for the TIME 100 Gala celebrating TIME’s 100 most influential people in the world for 2018.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time