Yulia Marushevska felt strongly about the violent protests in her home country of Ukraine, so she did what so many young people do: She took to the social media. Marushevska’s two-minute YouTube video I am a Ukrainian, explaining how her people “want to be free of a dictatorship” has since gone viral, garnering nearly 8 million views.
After seeing Marushevska’s passion, the Hollywood Director Ben Moses decided to give her a platform by shooting this viral video in collaboration with her. I am a Ukrainian certainly caught the right people’s attention, including professional billionaire Richard Branson, who is funding Marushevska’s North American speaking tour.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief