Following the firing of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, President Donald Trump commented on his decision and took questions from the media.
Trump maintained that he and Tillerson “disagreed on things,” while adding that he shares more views with Mike Pompeo, whom he tapped to replace Tillerson. Most notably, Trump pointed to the Iran deal as a source of dispute between he and Tillerson. Trump also claimed he and Tillerson discussed the matter “for a very long time.”
Trump emphasized that he’s gotten along well with Pompeo and said they have “very good chemistry” in addition to agreeing on a number of subjects.
Trump also spoke about Gina Haspel, who will take over as Director of the CIA after Pompeo as the first female CIA Director and someone he’s “gotten to know very well.”
Read Trump’s comments here:
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.