The 17-year-old was one of three skaters set to try the quad lutz in their short program, according to the Associated Press. It is considered one of the most difficult jumps that skaters currently perform at the Olympics.
He is the youngest member of Team USA in PyeongChang, and is off to a successful start in his debut Olympic competition. His score of 84.53 will likely put him in the top group ahead of the free skate competition up next.
Zhou’s teammates, Nathan Chen and Adam Rippon, who have also earned lots of attention during their time in PyeongChang, are skating later in the program. But after Zhou’s impressive jump, the Internet was all his. Many Twitter users congratulated him and shared their feelings in the classic form of memes and Meryl Streep gifs.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.