The 17-year-old was one of three skaters set to try the quad lutz in their short program, according to the Associated Press. It is considered one of the most difficult jumps that skaters currently perform at the Olympics.
He is the youngest member of Team USA in PyeongChang, and is off to a successful start in his debut Olympic competition. His score of 84.53 will likely put him in the top group ahead of the free skate competition up next.
Zhou’s teammates, Nathan Chen and Adam Rippon, who have also earned lots of attention during their time in PyeongChang, are skating later in the program. But after Zhou’s impressive jump, the Internet was all his. Many Twitter users congratulated him and shared their feelings in the classic form of memes and Meryl Streep gifs.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Abigail Abrams at firstname.lastname@example.org