Cross-country skier Tucker Murphy, who was accompanied by his coach Pepa Miloucheva and assistant coach Waxer Jeff Shaw, wore Bermuda shorts, named after the Caribbean territory, despite the cold temperatures— that dipped below 30 degrees Fahrenheit.
“That’s normal,” Dexter Smith, editor of Bermuda’s Royal Gazette newspaper, told USA Today. “At the Olympic Games, winter or summer, we’re pretty much famous for our Bermuda shorts. …It’s not a novelty. Not be any stretch.’”
Their frigid march comes a day after the British island territory became the world’s first jurisdiction to legalize and then repeal same-sex marriage, which critics say is rollback of civil liberties.
See the reactions to the bold choice of attire below.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up