Cross-country skier Tucker Murphy, who was accompanied by his coach Pepa Miloucheva and assistant coach Waxer Jeff Shaw, wore Bermuda shorts, named after the Caribbean territory, despite the cold temperatures— that dipped below 30 degrees Fahrenheit.
“That’s normal,” Dexter Smith, editor of Bermuda’s Royal Gazette newspaper, told USA Today. “At the Olympic Games, winter or summer, we’re pretty much famous for our Bermuda shorts. …It’s not a novelty. Not be any stretch.’”
Their frigid march comes a day after the British island territory became the world’s first jurisdiction to legalize and then repeal same-sex marriage, which critics say is rollback of civil liberties.
See the reactions to the bold choice of attire below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org