PetSmart announced that a Houston-area groomer was fired after a video showing the worker yanking a dog went viral.
The video showed the groomer gripping the dog’s muzzle and jerking its face as they tried to groom the area around the Shih Tzu’s neck, the Washington Post reported. The woman later yanks the dog to switch the dog’s angle.
“She was just being very aggressive with that little dog, just grabbing it by the ears. It was just unnecessary. The small dog was not really being aggressive or even being resistant, really,” Terah Leder, who took the video, told the Washington Post of the groomer.
Leder and Zahiana Jenkins, who also saw the incident, reported it to the PetSmart managers and waited for the dog’s owner to arrive and showed her the video, according to the report.
The owner, Brooke Vowers then posted the video to Facebook, where it gained close to half a million views, the Post reported. The employee was fired shortly after the video surfaced.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.