Joe Kennedy III, the grandson of Robert F. Kennedy and current U.S. Congressman from Massachusetts, is the latest member of the political dynasty to take the national stage.
On Tuesday night, he addressed the United States from the city of Fall River in Massachusetts’ 4th Congressional District to provide the Democrats’ official response to President Donald Trump’s State of the Union Address. (There were other, unofficial Democratic responses.)
Kennedy, whose great-uncle President John F. Kennedy was assassinated 16 years before he was born, worked to sound a defiant tone, while offering a Democratic alternative to what he claimed was Trump’s “zero-sum game” approach to politics.
At 37 years old, born in 1980, he is by some measures a Millennial. A Harvard Law grad, he is the only Kennedy currently in the U.S. Congress.
Kennedy, who has championed LGBTQ rights and immigration reform, was chosen in part for his legislative record, which Democratic leadership said offered a stark departure from President Trump’s vision of an America ailing at home and abroad.
In his speech, Kennedy said the American promise, in which “we are all worthy, we are all equal and we all count” is “being broken” by an administration “that callously appraises our worthiness and decides who makes the cut and who can be bargained away.”
He said the Democrats would fight for all American people, “because the strongest, richest, greatest nation in the world shouldn’t leave any one behind.”
Read Kennedy’s full remarks here:
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive