Arizona Sen. John McCain called out President Trump on Twitter for his “shithole” comment, accusing him of not respecting the dignity of certain immigrants.
McCain tweeted Friday that “respect for the God-given dignity of every human being, no matter their race, ethnicity or other circumstances of their birth, is the essence of American patriotism.” He said Trump, who questioned during an immigration meeting why the U.S. would accept more immigrants from Haiti and “shithole countries” in Africa, should respect that idea. (Trump has denied using that term.)
Trump’s comment came during a meeting with lawmakers at the White House Thursday to try to come to a bipartisan immigration deal. So far, no deal has been reached.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating