The world of crystals can be daunting, but as a trained shaman I’ve spent the last decade learning the ins and outs of various alternative healing methods and can attest to the power of these sparkly objects. There’s a crystal for everything, and this ancient stone medicine has been used for over 10,000 years to enhance physical, mental, emotional and spiritual balance. Crystals are used for healing body aches, supporting emotional issues such as anxiety, calling romantic love into one’s life, manifesting goals, beauty rituals and balancing the energy of a space.
So who needs crystals, and how do you use them? Well, it all depends on your goals.
The first step to introducing crystals into your life is to acquire some crystals. However, before entering a crystal store or enlisting the help of a crystal expert, you should ask yourself some simple questions, such as: What am I trying to work on right now? What do I want to call into my life? What’s holding me back from my dreams?
Once you’ve had an honest conversation with yourself, you can start to purchase some crystals. One option is to visit a gem mine and hand pick your stones, but a more practical approach is to start at your local metaphysical shop. There, you’ll want to ask the store owner where she or he acquires their stones. Knowing the lineage of a crystal is just like knowing where your food comes from. You want farm-to-table and cruelty-free. Everything carries an energy in it, and you want clear energies in your crystal, which is also why it’s important to give new crystals a “bath” prior to using them for the first time.
Some of my favorite crystal haunts include Rock Star Crystals in New York and Spellbound Sky in Los Angeles. Average prices range from $2.00 to $100.00. This is a personal journey, and I strongly suggest only purchasing stones that you feel a personal connection to, but some good options to start with include:
- Selenite — This clear crystal is like a cosmic vacuum cleaner and is best placed in your closet to help cleanse your belongings of old and negative energy
- Black Tourmaline — Store this black gem under your bed or by your nightstand for grounding and protection
- Scolecite — This opaque white stone is also best around your resting place and known for facilitating a good night’s rest
- Citrine — Bring this orange-hued crystal to work as it’s known for calling business and financial success into one’s life
- Amethyst — This purple stone can help deflect negative co-workers and their influences
- Rose Quartz — Wear this light pink gem around your neck or place it in your purse, bra or pocket to help bring you self-acceptance, love and support throughout the day
Another great crystal to incorporate into your life is Iron Pyrite. It can you help you manifest any changes you’d like to see and is especially powerful around this time of year when everyone is setting New Year’s resolutions. Simply write down all the things you’d like to receive and accomplish for the year, and put a piece of Iron Pyrite on top of your list. For the next 30 days, look at this list every day and recite it out loud. Our thoughts and actions manifest our reality, and it’s important to put energy behind the things that we want. You can also close your eyes and visualize these goals for extra credit.
Crystals can be powerful in helping your achieve your goals, and as shamans say, “Believe it and you will see it.”
May you walk in beauty.
Colleen McCann is a fashion stylist-turned-shaman and the founder of Style Rituals. She blends ancient practices with intuition to help improve the lives of her clients worldwide.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was