This post is in partnership with Inc., which offers useful advice, resources, and insights to entrepreneurs and business owners. The article below was originally published at Inc.com.
Margie Blanchard, Ph.D. has been a driving force behind The Ken Blanchard Companies’ growth as a premier management consulting firm. She heads up their Office of the Future, a study of emerging trends in the workplace.
When I interviewed Margie a few years ago, I was taken by her keen insights and profound reflections. During our discussion, she shared her perspective after she and Ken lost their beloved home in a San Diego fire. She said, “Everything I had held onto I lost, and everything I ever gave away I still had.” Hmm. Think about that.
Our society emphasizes accumulation of wealth, possessions, power, recognition, etc. In truth, our lives were meant to give away.
So, here are twelve behaviors just about every leader wants more of and twelve simple way to get them.
1. Want enthusiasm? Give it.
2. Want change? Become the change.
3. Want forgiveness? Give it.
4. Want more autonomy? Give it.
5. Want to be heard? Lend an ear.
6. Want recognition? Give it.
7. Want respect? Show it.
8. Want consideration? Give it.
9. Want help? Offer yours.
10. Want gratitude? Express it.
11. Want leadership? Be the leader.
12. Want more? Give more.
Read More from Inc.com:
The One Behavior That Guarantees Failure
One Powerful List–and Why You Should Make Your Own
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement