This post is in partnership with Inc., which offers useful advice, resources, and insights to entrepreneurs and business owners. The article below was originally published at Inc.com.
Margie Blanchard, Ph.D. has been a driving force behind The Ken Blanchard Companies’ growth as a premier management consulting firm. She heads up their Office of the Future, a study of emerging trends in the workplace.
When I interviewed Margie a few years ago, I was taken by her keen insights and profound reflections. During our discussion, she shared her perspective after she and Ken lost their beloved home in a San Diego fire. She said, “Everything I had held onto I lost, and everything I ever gave away I still had.” Hmm. Think about that.
Our society emphasizes accumulation of wealth, possessions, power, recognition, etc. In truth, our lives were meant to give away.
So, here are twelve behaviors just about every leader wants more of and twelve simple way to get them.
1. Want enthusiasm? Give it.
2. Want change? Become the change.
3. Want forgiveness? Give it.
4. Want more autonomy? Give it.
5. Want to be heard? Lend an ear.
6. Want recognition? Give it.
7. Want respect? Show it.
8. Want consideration? Give it.
9. Want help? Offer yours.
10. Want gratitude? Express it.
11. Want leadership? Be the leader.
12. Want more? Give more.
Read More from Inc.com:
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out