By now you may know that we are living in a world where Prince Harry is engaged to American Meghan Markle.
The 36-year-old former Suits actor, who grew up in California, is the first American to be engaged to a British royal in 90 years.
Markle could even become the first American to nab the Her Royal Highness (HRH) title after the wedding – which is expected in May 2018.
Romance between a British royal and an American is not exactly without precedent. But the circumstances this time are different. The last time it happened – when King Edward VIII started a relationship with divorcee Wallis Simpson – the pairing sparked a constitutional crisis and led to Edward abdicating the throne in 1936. (They never had an official engagement.)
So this one is a historically significant union — but there are many unanswered questions, prominent among them: What does this mean for Britain and America?
Based on zero evidence that this fifteen-month relationship is all leading up to a political takeover, Twitter user Greg Pollowitz has a hilarious theory to suggest the marriage could be strategic.
It spread delight across the Internet.
Despite the genuine smiles between lovebirds, others saw a connection with power player dramas like House of Cards and Game of Thrones.
Another forward thinking user shared that such a plan would be exceptionally well-timed.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow