By now you may know that we are living in a world where Prince Harry is engaged to American Meghan Markle.
The 36-year-old former Suits actor, who grew up in California, is the first American to be engaged to a British royal in 90 years.
Markle could even become the first American to nab the Her Royal Highness (HRH) title after the wedding – which is expected in May 2018.
Romance between a British royal and an American is not exactly without precedent. But the circumstances this time are different. The last time it happened – when King Edward VIII started a relationship with divorcee Wallis Simpson – the pairing sparked a constitutional crisis and led to Edward abdicating the throne in 1936. (They never had an official engagement.)
So this one is a historically significant union — but there are many unanswered questions, prominent among them: What does this mean for Britain and America?
Based on zero evidence that this fifteen-month relationship is all leading up to a political takeover, Twitter user Greg Pollowitz has a hilarious theory to suggest the marriage could be strategic.
It spread delight across the Internet.
Despite the genuine smiles between lovebirds, others saw a connection with power player dramas like House of Cards and Game of Thrones.
Another forward thinking user shared that such a plan would be exceptionally well-timed.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time