
A North Korea official said at a UN news conference Friday that the world should “wait and see” what the government meant when it threatened earlier this week a “new form” of nuclear test.
“The DPRK made it very clear, we will carry out a new form of nuclear test,” Deputy UN Ambassador Ri Tong Il of North Korea (DPRK) said, according to Reuters. “But I recommend you to wait and see what it is.
The UN Security Council condemned North Korea March 27 for firing two medium-range Rodong ballistic missiles into the sea a day earlier, calling it a breach of U.N. resolutions but drawing the ire of the North. On Sunday, the official Korean Central News Agency published a statement threatening a “new form” of nuclear test, following three past tests, without elaborating on what that would mean.
Tensions between North and South Korea have spiked amid joint annual military exercises between South Korea and the United States. On Monday, North Korea fired shells across a disputed maritime border, prompting return fire from South Korea.
More Must-Reads from TIME
- Introducing the 2024 TIME100 Next
- The Reinvention of J.D. Vance
- How to Survive Election Season Without Losing Your Mind
- Welcome to the Golden Age of Scams
- Did the Pandemic Break Our Brains?
- The Many Lives of Jack Antonoff
- 33 True Crime Documentaries That Shaped the Genre
- Why Gut Health Issues Are More Common in Women
Write to Noah Rayman at noah.rayman@time.com