Authorities believe a 23-year-old Oregon man fatally shot a 15-year-old girl before killing himself.
The Oregon state medical examiner determined that the teenager, Annieka Vaughan, died by homicide, while the 23-year-old man, Zachary Petersen, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the Portland Police Bureau. Their bodies were found in Portland’s Forest Park on Wednesday.
The pair knew each other, Oregon Live reports. Both had been reported missing and authorities believed that Petersen had a gun and might be suicidal.
Officials say the bodies were discovered after 19 hours of searching at the intersection of two trails within the sprawling, 5,100-acre Forest Park. They were found close to the Pittock Mansion, a historic house and popular tourist destination.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating