For Halloween, some turn to the classics for costume inspiration: timeless superheroes, traditionally scary villains, easily recognizable characters from parts of our collective cultural canon. Others turn to the zeitgeist.
That was certainly the case for Twitter user Chase Mitchell, who — along with two partners in costumed crime — decided to dress up as one of the year’s most viral meme sensations. The meme of a “distracted boyfriend” was originally a stock photo of a man checking out another woman. Online, many co-opted the image to represent other forms of seeking out a different option, with jokes abounding. This Halloween trio took it a step further, going exceptionally meta with their approach.
“Meme costumes age well, right,” Mitchell captioned wryly.
Impressive as it is, there is an issue with this particular costume, as one Twitter commenter noted.
These three were not alone in their choice of holiday finery, however. One woman went as far as to wear the picture all night — making it a solo costume.
While others replicated the three-person situation.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.